Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Butter Baby wins with Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars

Let me start by saying, I've been DYING to make peanut butter and jelly bars

Peanut butter may in fact be my kryptonite - I would consider giving up bacon for it (don't tell my 'Official Taste Tester').  

So this challenge finally gave me an excuse to indulge in this blissful treat.  I started with "Cookies & Cups" recipe (February 5, 2013) and barely made any alterations. 

I may have added a BIT more peanut butter (consider it a calculation error) and I chose to use Raspberry jelly... well OTT chose raspberry, but since he went to the store, who am I to disagree.  Other than that, presto - even her baking times were spot on.

This is a four layer bar

The first being a relatively simple shortbread.  But by baking it twice, it really gives a nice snap when you bite in.  

There are no words to describe the second layer of this cookie.  Raw or baked - it is as if angels are having a tea party in your mouth.  Seriously though, if I offered up spoonfuls of the raw peanut butter, butter, sugar mixture there would be a line from Walnut Creek to Kalamazoo - yum.  Did I mention it's thick and creamy?

Then the seemingly boring layers of jam and crumble.  Pretty normal stuff here.  
A little butter here, a bit of oats there. 

Here's the kicker though - after you pull it out of the oven, you get to test your will power by letting the whole pan cool.  Seriously, don't touch it! Just let it be; if I can do it... you can.  

And here's why.  Snappy, gooey, creamy, tangy and just a hint of salty goodness.  Now go make yourself a cup of tea.


1 comment: