Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Mix Battle - Pumpkin Spice Cookies with Luscious Cream Cheese Frosting

Let me start by saying, I know I'm one of the lucky ones.  I grew up on home-made cookies, many times getting to help with the process, not to mention lick the bowl and I just can't get over it.

And so we begin  round two - the 'Mixes' Batch Battle which means I'm already not happy.  I started with a bag of "Betty Crocker Pumpkin Spice Cookie Mix" that my OTT (official taste tester) threw into the shopping cart during an adventure to the grocery store while hungry (I'll never learn).

I knew I was going to struggle when the bag clearly stated two things I in general disagree with:
1. "Natural and Artificial flavors"
2. "Do Not Eat Raw Dough"

But alas, I persevered and tried to think of something rather than just boring cookies.  I started dreaming of frosting options, and then it struck me - CREAM CHEESE.  Every Thanksgiving we beg (BEG) my mom to bake a pumpkin pie cheese cake which thankfully she does, but god forbid you're there a minute late because it WILL be gone.

With this new hope for cookie mix I dug in starting with my favorite ingredient, a stick of butter.


I tried to stay true to the directions and mixed by hand. Luckily, this was not too difficult, but yikes, I totally forgot how lucky I am to have a fabulous mixer.  

Cookies were deposited on the cookie sheet in 1" balls and baked for about 9 minutes.  Super quick!

While these little darlings were baking, I got on to the real show.  Frosting!
Two packets of cream cheese to one stick of butter makes this version of cream cheese frosting simply decedent and almost indecent; in other words I can't get enough of it.  This picture simply doesn't do it justice - it is creamy and rich with just a hint of sweetness.  


The cookies came out of the oven surprisingly well.  Flat bottoms, puffy tops, and somewhat of a cake-like texture.  Betty Crocker - you shocked me!


Overall, I'm still not a huge fan of mixes, but this did open my eyes.

Happy Eating!
-L

No comments:

Post a Comment