Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Daddy's Shrimp 'n Grits - trust me, it's breakfast

So, other than the fact that I'm posting a bazillion days late - I would call this battle a complete success.  I follow France's savory cheesy breakfast with in fact a savory cheesy breakfast... notice a trend? Get on the 'cheese-for-breakfast' bandwagon!

I blended a classic southern breakfast with a family favorite (thanks for the recipe Dad) to bring you THE BEST FOOD EVER - Shrimp 'n grits.  

I physically cannot NOT order Shrimp and Grits whenever it's an option as a restaurant, and have therefore tried my fair share of this dish.  So it is with great authority that I tell you that despite the stick of butter in this recipe, I stand by the fact that this is the healthy version.  After all, there isn't a half inch of butter floating atop your bowl like they do in Key West (Mother-of-god it's delish!)

Nope, here we made our grits with milk, chicken broth and some cheese.  Load it into muffin tins and pop them in the oven.











Now the OTT (official taste tester) said he didn't believe in shrimp for breakfast, but he couldn't argue with  (or resist) cheese grits and ham gravy.  So while the grit "cups" are baking, I browned up some smoked ham,  butter (of course) and some extra broth.  I substituted gluten-free Pamela's Mix for flour in the gravy; still browned up beautifully and no sacrifice in taste either.


Now, here comes the good part.  Once the grits have been in the oven and firmed up.  Use the back of a spoon to make little bowls.  Then spoon in the ham gravy and top with cooked medium shrimp. Warm them back up for about 10 minutes. 
This recipe is originally for an appetizer size AKA mini-muffin tin, but for a breakfast portion I made them in regular sized muffin cups  (makes about 12) and served 2 each topped with some fresh parsley and of course my favorite, Texas Pete Hot Sauce.  


And no, I didn't refrain from licking my plate, cooking implements, fingers or anyone else's.

Happy Eating!
L



No comments:

Post a Comment